Why do visually impaired people need a Hungarian educational institution? Because there is none and our children need it!
Why do we need a rehabilitation center for visually impaired adults? Because there is none and they need it!
The Association for the Visually Impaired Hungarians in Transylvania works for Hungarian-speaking visually impaired people living in Romania. We are working on the establishment of a Hungarian-language residential educational institution and an elementary rehabilitation center. You can now contribute to realise this noble cause.
A milestone achieved in the case of the blind and partially sighted Hungarians in Transylvania!
With the support of the Hungarian Government and the Transylvanian Reformed Diocese as owner, several high-value properties were purchased, which will be used by the Association for the Visually Impaired Hungarians in Transylvania as an operator and professional coordinator.
After the official press launch on 18 November 2021, we started working on the development concept, involving a building energy specialist, architect and contractor. The costs for the conversion of the buildings are realistic, and the amounts of other expected expenditure are well thought out and justifiable. An important aspect of our concept was to carry out only the necessary renovations and investments in order to start special Hungarian-language education for children in the buildings as soon as possible. The improvements and investments listed below are therefore indispensable for the legal and safe operation of the special education centre, on the one hand, and for rationalising operating costs, on the other.
|Building||Territory (m2)||Usefull interface (m2)||Note, investments needed|
|B1 Main building||
|5 levels, accessibility, security, classrooms with terrace|
|B2 Heating center||
|Development, photovoltaic-heat pump design, using renewable energy sources|
|Construction and equipping of a multifunctional sports hall with infra heating and solar panels|
|C1-C4 és C6-C9||
|8 buildings that will later become functional|
In the first phase, we plan to renovate and convert buildings B1, B2 and C5, so that elementary education and adult rehabilitation can start as soon as possible.
Improvements needed to run the main building, which will provide accommodation for up to 60 people, classrooms and service facilities:
- energy modernisation, which can be economically operated and which will already pay for itself in the short term by using green energy (solar panels, heat pumps): € 80,000.
- security upgrades and investments: for building B1, securing the staircase, building a fence, securing the terraces of the building and installing them where necessary: €80 000.
- accessibility of the main building and courtyard: signposting, acoustic signage, large lettering and braille: €8,000.
- creation of outdoor community and play areas in the courtyard: €13,000.
- Construction and fitting-out of a multifunctional gym for visually impaired children, development and special therapeutic movement areas, sports pitches (rattle ball pitch, rattle football pitch), special sports flooring, installation of infra-heating, separation of changing rooms and bathrooms, toilets with development and play areas: €106,000.
Other planned expenditure not related to property development:
- Purchase of auxiliary equipment: Braille displays and typewriters, Braille printers, electronic magnifiers, tactile displays and makers, multifunction printers, laptops, tablets: €93,000.
- Furnishing and equipment for residential accommodation: 40 single beds, bed linen, 60 folding desks and chairs: €26,000.
- classroom furniture, folding desks, chairs, teaching aids: €13,000.
- industrial washing and drying machines, household washing machines with no obstacles, a high-capacity gas cooker: €11,000.
- 2 minibuses, suitable for transporting goods and passengers and also functioning as school buses if necessary: € 80.000.
- Operating costs, staff payments, taxes and duties for 1 year: €106,000.
- Total cost of building renovation, safety adaptations, accessibility, investment in education and operating costs: €616,000. In the vast majority of cases, these adaptations, teaching equipment, furniture, accessibility and safety adaptations are statutory obligations, which are largely a prerequisite for obtaining official authorisations. They are therefore absolutely necessary for the start-up of the Hungarian-language special boarding school and the elementary adult rehabilitation centre.
We thank God for our blessings, partners, and helpers so far. Work and our fundraising campaign still does not stop, as many alterations, fixtures, accessibility upgrades and several high-value aids are still needed to put the property into use.
You can still give your generous support on our accessible website
We ask you to support us and encourage your relatives, friends and acquaintances to do so, if they consider our project important.